LONG TERM VISA (type D: exchange students up to two semesters, study, training and internship)


Who needs it?

It is mandatory for any foreigner (without a visa-free travel arrangement) wishing to study, work or live in a Schengen country for longer than 90 days (up to 1 year).

How can you get it?

Ask for a long-term visa aka VISA D at the nearest Slovenian embassy.

When should you arrange it?

Between 3 weeks and 3 months before arrival in Slovenia.

Time needed

Around 2 weeks.

Which documents do you need to submit?

  • Application form for visa D (.pdf).
  • A valid passport and copy of the passport (the expiry date of which exceeds the intended period of stay in the Republic of Slovenia by at least three months).
  • Health insurance covering urgent health care services, at a minimum requirement, in the Republic of Slovenia;
    • Coverage of at least EUR 30.000.00.
    • Valid in Europe / Schengen countries.
    • Includes medical emergencies, urgent care, medical evacuation and repatriation of remains.
    • Valid for the entire period of the applicant’s intended stay.
  • Sufficient means of subsistence in a monthly amount at least equal to the basic minimum income in the Republic of Slovenia (currently EUR 465.34).
  • A verified police certificate indicating a clear criminal record not older than three months from your country (if the country in question issues it), translated into Slovenian and notarized.
  • An authentic photograph of yourself, and you are also required to submit two of your fingerprints for their digital capture.
  • Confirmation of enrolment at the higher education institution (Acceptance letter).


EUR 77.00.

Additional costs may apply.

Other important information

  • Once in Slovenia, holders of a visa D do not need to apply for a residence permit for the period of validity of the visa D, but they need to report a temporary address within a week (if staying in private accommodation) to the relevant administrative unit in Slovenia.
  • A D-type visa cannot be extended.